27 Oct Top 10 Tips for Surviving Halloween
Survive and thrive this Halloween with this Mom’s top ten tips.
1. Make Halloween about the costumes and pumpkins, not the candy.
2. Have a Halloween party like we did. Remember bobbing for apples?? You can still do it just give each kid their own bucket.
3. Host a Haunted Halloween House for the entire town, just like this NJ town did:
4. Limit the sugar high by giving out tattoos, bouncy balls, yo-yos, stickers, pencils, chalk and mini coloring books.
5. Give real food: Clif Kid Twisted Fruit Rope, Clif Z Bar (granola bars), Organic raisins, Blue Diamond mini nut packs – almonds, Beanito’s No Oil No Salt Microwave Popcorn or Earth’s Best Organic Puree (fruit and veggies pureed like applesauce, in squeeze packs)
6. Choose Smarties, Tootsie Pops, York Peppermint Patties, Twizzlers and Milk Duds if calories are a concern.
7. Let your kids have as much candy as they want on Halloween and don’t make a big deal out of it. Their bodies will tell them more than your words.
8. Don’t label candy as “bad” or “junk” food. It is candy, typically high in refined sugar and low in other nutrients. It tastes yummy but may make you feel overly hyper, shaky and cause a bellyache if eaten in large amounts over a short period of time.
9. If you hate Halloween because you can’t manage to be around candy, get the candy last minute or just get your children’s favorite candy, not yours!!
10. Have fun. Health is about balance not restriction. Don’t make your issues with food and candy, your kid’s food issues.