20 Jun Summer Veggie Pasta Salad
With Summer officially arriving tomorrow we wanted to share a recipe that’s great to serve all summer long and kid-friendly. We love this recipe for both its simplicity and its taste, plus it’s a great way to get some extra veggies onto your kids’ plates! It takes about 15 minutes to make and can easily be made with the help of your little ones. Have your little assistant/s help you with washing the tomatoes, measuring the seasonings, squeezing the lemons, and even sprinkling the parmesan cheese!
Summer Veggie Pasta Salad
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 2 cups uncooked penne
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/8 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp minced shallots
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, halved
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and set aside.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Remove tomatoes from pan; let stand 10 minutes. Cut tomatoes into halves.
- Combine shallots and the next 4 ingredients (through honey) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add remaining 3 tablespoons oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Place pasta, tomato, olives, and spinach in a large bowl; toss. Drizzle juice mixture over pasta mixture; toss. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
This recipe was adapted from Cooking Light.