01 Aug Rosh Hashanah Roasted Apples
Rosh Hashanah Roasted Apples
Happy Rosh Hashanah! A Delicious Holiday RecipeRosh Hashanah has a number of delicious and traditional recipes. We did our research and found one that is both tasty and has a great message behind it. The use of apples and honey are a traditional food pairing served during Rosh Hashanah. It is believed that dipping apples in honey will bring a sweet new year. We love the symbolism and chose this recipe with the idea of having the kids join in on the preparation. So round up the kids, prepare this scrumptious dish together, and enjoy a Shana Tova (good year)!
- 4 cups 100% apple cider, we like to use Langers, but any brand will suffice
- 5 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp organic honey
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- 6 medium yellow onions, cut into wedges
- 6 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 6 medium apples, preferably of the red variety, cored and cut into wedges
- Boil apple cider in pan for about 28 minutes, or until it has significantly reduced. Add applesauce and honey, whisk until incorporated. Add salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Butter 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Toss onion wedges in large bowl with 2 teaspoons oregano and 3 tablespoons apple cider mixture. Arrange in single layer on 1 sheet. Toss apples in 2 teaspoons oregano and 3 tablespoons apple cider mixture. Arrange in single layer on second sheet. Sprinkle both with pepper.
- Roast onions for 10 minutes. Roast apples for 20 minutes.
- Remove both sheets from oven. Drizzle remaining apple cider mixture evenly over onions and apples. Roast for an additional 20 minutes.
- Increase the temperature to 475°F. Roast onions and apples for about 10 minutes, until tender and lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons of oregano.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe makes a great pair to this traditional Honey Cake Recipe. We here at MDIO want to wish you all a safe and celebratory Rosh Hashanah! Nutritional Content (1 serving): 156 calories, 0.3g fat, 0.0g saturated fat, 157.5mg sodium, 39.2g carbohydrates, 4.3g fiber, 30.3g sugar, 0.9g protein. Recipe adapted from Epicurious.