01 Aug Red Velvet Cake Bites with Fresh Raspberries
Red Velvet Cake Bites with Fresh Raspberries
(Makes 30-35 bites)
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp red food coloring
- 2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Fresh raspberries
- Cream butter and sugar. Add applesauce and egg and mix well. Blend in vanilla, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest and food coloring. Mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients and add slowly to mixture, stirring well. Pour batter into pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Spread batter to a depth of only ½ or ¾ inch thick. Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool before frosting. Set on a flat surface while preparing topping.
METHOD ABOUT TOPPING:
- Melt chocolate in microwave or using double boiler.
- Using a knife, spread a thin layer of chocolate on top of cake, then set raspberries in straight rows (so that there will be 1 raspberry at the center of each cake bite.)
- Cut into small squares and serve!
70 calories, 1.5g fat, 5.6g sugar, 12.9g carbohydrates, 1.4g protein