22 Oct Red Lentil and Carrot Soup
Red Lentil and Carrot Soup
Great for digestion and providing you with nutrition.
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 onion, yellow diced
- 1 pound carrots, washed, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups no added salt vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- 2. Add onions and sauté until they are translucent.
- 3. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, and chili powder sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
- 4. Add carrots, and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5. Add the vegetable broth, and red lentils. Bring the soup to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the carrots are tender, and the lentils are well cooked -about 20-30 minutes.
- 6. Using an immersion blender, or in a high-speed blender, puree soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7. Top with croutons and sriracha for an extra kick!