01 Aug Quinoa with Sautéed Mushrooms and Kale
Quinoa with Sautéed Mushrooms and Kale
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- ½ cup Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch (about 8 leaves) kale, washed and cut into 2-in pieces
- ⅓ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- red pepper flakes
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water (This will help remove any bitterness and is easier if you use a sieve) In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water to boil, add the quinoa and salt. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. A helpful hint is that the quinoa is done when the white ring pops off the kernel. If there is extra liquid that the quinoa hasn’t absorbed, simply pour out some of the liquid to prevent overcooking.
- Meanwhile, use a large sauté pan and heat two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the mushrooms and season with a dash of salt, sauté for 1 minute or until slightly brown. Add the kale and cherry tomatoes and cover for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until wilted. Add the vegetable mixture to the quinoa in the pot. Adjust seasonings; for a little kick, add red pepper flakes. Serve warm with freshly grated Parmesan.