15 Oct Meatballs on a Stick
Recipe by Laura Cipullo, R.D., C.D.E. *Originally published published in The Daily Meal
Homemade meatballs made with lean turkey meat, these little balls on a stick will be a yummy addition to any meal or party. Since we’re on the cusp of Halloween, you can even serve these at a party for a healthy side — and not to mention, easy clean up!
- 1 pound ground white turkey, preferably organic
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4-1/2 slice whole-wheat bread
- 1 egg, preferably organic
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- No-sugar added tomato sauce, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the turkey, onion, bread, egg, red pepper, and oregano. Form the mixture into small balls and place on a baking sheet. (The smaller the meatball, the faster it will finish baking.) Cook for about 30 minutes. When cool, add to kebab sticks, alternating 2 meatballs per skewer with 1 cube of mozzarella. Serve with tomato sauce.