01 Aug Lemon & Olive Oil Polenta Cake
Lemon & Olive Oil Polenta Cake
- One 24′ cm loose bottom cake pan and help from your little ones!
- 1 ¼ cup polenta, dry
- ½ cup ground almond flour (Another healthy option is to grind whole unsalted almonds yourself)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs, (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 large lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional garnish: thinly sliced lemon wedges, plain non-fat Greek yogurt or dust lightly with powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly coat a loose bottom cake pan with olive oil. In a large bowl, sift the polenta, almond flour, salt and baking powder. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla, olive oil and lemon zest. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and fold in the lemon juice. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool. Garnish with thin lemon wedges if desired and serve with a dollop of plain, non-fat Greek yogurt.
The result? After helping me measure olive oil, sift flour and whisk all the ingredients together, the outcome was more than just a delicious cake—My little baker was super proud of his work!!