31 Jul Lavender Cookies
As summer comes to a close, that doesn’t mean extra family time has to come to an end! My boys & I made these fun & tasty lavender shortbread cookies! A great way to get us all in the kitchen and to learn about and try a new food. An added bonus, your kitchen will smell wonderful! We used the recipe from Joy The Baker, here.
- 1 tbsp dried lavender blossoms
- 1 tbsp + ½ cup raw or granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten (for egg wash)
- extra sugar for sprinkling on top
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour and salt together. Set aside.
- In a small spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind 1 tbsp lavender and 1 tbsp sugar.
- In another bowl, that can be used with electric mixer with paddle attachment, add butter, ground lavender mixture, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Cream ingredients on medium speed until slightly more pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. It’s okay if there are still some sugar bits at this point. Add the flour and mix on low speed until the dough comes together. The dough will have a crumbly texture, but will come together as you continue mixing.
- Dump dough mixture out onto a clean surface and form into a ball with your hands. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Line cookies sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Divide refrigerated dough into quarters. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Use a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter to cut cookies, or a pizza cutter to slice into squares. Use a fork to prick the cookies.
- Brush the cookies very lightly with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Make sure your oven is preheated to 350 degrees F and refrigerate cookies while oven preheats.
- Place racks in the center and upper third of the oven. When oven is preheated, bake cookies for 8-11 minutes, until just browned on the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 10 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.