01 Aug Homemade Apple Butter
Posted at 04:14h in Recipes
Homemade Apple Butter
I don’t know about you, but we have a LOT of apples left from our family apple picking in October. We’ve been racking our brains for ideas on how to use up these fresh and delicious apples. Then we came across this Overnight Apple Butter recipe from Cooking Light. What a perfect way to use up these apples!Overnight Apple Butter
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 10 medium apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 hours (we suggest starting it before you go to bed or as soon as you wake up if you’re concerned leaving it unattended all night).
- Once apples are tender, transfer a spoonful into a fine-meshed colander. Press the mixture using a large spoon until you are left with the apple pulp. You can throw away the pulp.
- Repeat until finished with the apples.
- Return the apple mixture to the slow cooker and continue to cook for 1.5 more hours. Stir occasionally until the mixture becomes thick.
- Store in an air-tight container or jar for one week. Enjoy!
Tip: using multiple varieties of apples can add to the overall texture and taste of the apple butter. Recipe and photograph courtesy of Cooking Light.