01 Aug Heart Healthy Mexican Recipes: Vegetarian Burrito
Heart Healthy Mexican Recipes: Vegetarian Burrito
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic chopped
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 15 oz can low salt black beans
- 1 15 oz can low salt kidney beans
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh, steamed
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups reduced fat and grated cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, tomatoes, lime juice and cilantro. Drizzle oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion, and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. When garlic becomes fragrant, add the bean mixture and reduce to low heat.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds or over the sauté pan. Remove from heat and spread each tortilla with ½ cup rice down the center, followed by the bean mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded cheese and few slices of avocado.
- First, fold the bottom of the tortilla over the filling and the tortilla directly on the opposite end. Wrap the left side of the tortilla over the filling and seal with a bamboo toothpick. You now have a swaddled burrito! Serve with carrot sticks and lemon lime seltzer.