03 Dec Healthier Macaroni & Cheese
Add favorite vegetables for texture and nutrients: spinach, broccoli tops, mushrooms – I always add veggies to my children’s mac and cheese to add volume, fiber, and antioxidants. This is a great way to get your kids or even yourself to eat more veggies!
INGREDIENTS (Makes 3 Servings)
- 3 cup whole-wheat elbows, cooked
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup low-fat organic milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup frozen chopped frozen spinach thawed or microwaved for 60 secs.
1. Bring a large pot of water with salt to boil. Add the elbows, cook as directed on the package and then drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over low heat, whisk the milk and flour until thickened. Add the Parmesan and whisk until melted. Add water or milk if necessary to get smooth and creamy. Combine the pasta and cheese/spinach sauce in the pot. Make colorful by serving with fresh carrot sticks on the side. Serve immediately.
353 calories, 11g fat, 44g carbohydrates, and 25 grams of protein per serving