01 Aug Global Eats: Falafel Style
Global Eats: Falafel Style
We’re all about trying new foods at Mom Dishes It Out. Our post yesterday highlighted a number of recipes from all around the world and encouraged families to try new foods. To continue this trend we wanted to share this delicious Falafel recipe from our friends at Cooking Light. This recipe puts a Latin American twist on a Middle Eastern classic.
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips (about 3/4 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- ¼ cup mashed peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 (6-inch) pitas, each cut in half crosswise
- 4 thin red onion slices, separated into rings
- Greens of choice
- To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white); stir until well combined. Shape bean mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) oval patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
- To prepare spread, combine avocado and next 5 ingredients (through salt), stirring well. Place 1 patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons avocado spread over patty in each pita half; top with onions and greens.