27 Mar Get your kids cooking in the kitchen!
Get your kids cooking in the kitchen!
By Laura Cipullo, RD CDE CEDRD CDN and Mom
To honor National Nutrition Month we wanted to focus on helping children foster a positive relationship with food. A great way to do that is by getting kids active in the cooking process. Even if its making sometimes foods like baking cookies or, in this case, making pancakes! Here’s a cute video we made with the kids:
Recipe makes about 12 pancakes, depending on size.
- 1 large egg
- 2.5 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- maple syrup for serving
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beginning with the eggs, followed by the buttermilk, butter, and whisk until combined. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk until the flour is incorporated.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, add a little butter or cooking spray to the pan. Spoon about 1/2 cup of batter into heated pan and cook about 2 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with optional warm butter, maple syrup, and/or fruit.
– See more at: Bitsy’s Brainfood