20 Dec Diabetes-Friendly Roasted Veggie Mac & Cheese
The winter holidays are just around the corner. And we’re sure you’re as busy as we all are trying to prepare gifts, holiday dishes, and our homes to entertain our family and friends. This past Thanksgiving we posted an allergy-friendly recipe, so we wanted to continue that tradition and share a dish from Laura’s new book: The Diabetes Comfort Food Diet Cookbook. We chose the Roasted Vegetable Macaroni and Cheese recipe, because its diabetes-friendly and a great comfort food for the snowy nights to come. We hope you and your families enjoy a happy and healthy holiday season!
Roasted Vegetable Mac and Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, cut into eighths
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 8 ounces whole grain elbow pasta
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Coat an 11″ x 7″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, roast the cauliflower, onion, bell pepper, and oil for 30 minutes, stirring once, or until the cauliflower is golden brown. Remove from the oven to a cutting board and chop the roasted vegetables coarsely. Add to the prepared dish.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in the dish with roasted vegetables.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, flour, mustard, and salt. Cook for 4 minutes, whisking, or until the mixture begins to thicken. Stir in the Cheddar and Romano and cook for 2 minutes, or until melted. Pour over pasta and vegetables, tossing to coat. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbling.