01 Aug Crockpot Chicken and Chickpea Tagine
Crockpot Chicken and Chickpea Tagine
Are you hosting a New Years Eve party this year? If you are, we have a deliciously easy recipe for you to serve! This recipe is from our friends at Cooking Light and uses a slow cooker. That’s right, all this recipe needs is a bit of prep work, and a few hours of cooking to become a tasty main entree for NYE! While this recipe serves 8, you can adjust accordingly to fit your needs.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 (5-ounce) bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- ⅔ cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 (15-ounce) cans organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- Lemon wedges
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle meaty side of chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pan, meaty side down; cook 5 minutes or until well browned. Remove from pan (do not brown other side).
- Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Add cumin and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, stock, honey, and cinnamon, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a simmer. Carefully pour mixture into a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Stir in apricots and chickpeas. Arrange chicken, browned side up, on top of chickpea mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours. Discard cinnamon stick. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with lemon wedges.
- The recipe and photo featured in this post were provided by Cooking Light. To read the original recipe please click here.