31 Jul Coconut Almond Crunch Granola Bars
Coconut Almond Crunch Granola Bars
From ready-made breakfasts to kids’ camp snacks, granola bars are a go-to choice for on-the-go moms and dads. What better way to enjoy granola bars, than making them yourself? They’re also a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen!
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cups almonds
- 1 cups shredded coconut
- ½ cups honey
- ¼ cups nut butter
- ½ cups dried fruits (raisins, craisins, dried cherries)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast oats on baking pan for about 5 minutes, shake or stir the oats on the pan once or twice. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Coarsely chop the almonds and place onto the pan with the shredded coconut and place in oven for about 8 minutes, the coconut will start to turn golden and have a light aroma.
- While the nuts and coconut are in the oven, pour the honey and nut butter (I used creamy almond butter) into a small sauce pan on medium-low heat, stir occasionally. Simmer the mixture for 3-5 minutes until it is a medium golden.
- Remove honey and nut butter mix from heat and stir in oats, almonds and coconut. The mixture may seem dry, but should be evenly coated.
- Sprinkle in dried fruits (I used a mix of raisins, dried cherries and cranberries) at the end of mixing.
- Pour whole mix onto parchment lined baking pan or 8 x 12 cake pan and spread evenly.
- Compress the granola mix so that there are not any spaces (this will prevent your bars from falling apart when you cut them). You can use the bottom of another pan covered in parchment paper to flatten out the mix.
- Wait about 10-15 minutes for mixture to cool before cutting into 1 x 4in bars.
- Store in air tight container and enjoy!
Fun Adaptation: This recipe also makes a yummy granola! Just crumble the mix after it cools or chop into smaller pieces for a fun yogurt topping!