01 Aug Cauliflower “Potato” Latkes
Cauliflower “Potato” Latkes
With Hanukkah just under a week away, we wanted to share a recipe that is sure to be a hit at your upcoming holiday party! We’ve swapped the potatoes for cauliflower in this recipe, however, you could easily split the recipe to have half potatoes and half cauliflowers. The choice is yours!
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed and chopped into small pieces
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (you can also grind matzah to make a matzah meal)
- ½ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Canola, or oil of choice, for frying
- Optional: shredded carrots or zucchini for added color and nutrition!
- Steam cauliflower in a large pot for about 10-15 minutes, or until tender. (Make sure the cauliflower is tender enough to mash) Drain.
- Mash the cauliflower with a potato masher, or large fork.
- Transfer the mashed cauliflower to a bowl. Add the eggs and flour. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat a saute/frying pan with enough oil to cover the bottom over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is heated thoroughly, take a scoop of cauliflower and form into a latke-like shape. Add the latke to the pan and flatten slightly. Cook for about 2-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip and cook for a remaining 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on a rack or towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil. Repeat until all cauliflower is used.
- Allow to cool and serve.
This recipe makes about 15 latkes and makes a great addition to your favorite Hanukkah meals. We especially love pairing it with this Fennel and Spinach Soup with Roasted Pepper Yogurt from Cooking Light’s Healthy Holiday Menu Do you have any recipes for Hanukkah that you’d like to share? Or any modifications to traditional recipes? We’d love to see them!