21 Apr Caprese eggs Benedict
by Lisa Mikus, RD, CNSC, CDN
Since practicing social-distancing and self-isolation the past five weeks, I’ve been missing one of my favorite activities: going out to eat, especially brunching with friends. I cannot wait to hear “Can I get you any appetizers?” once again! When I visit my best friend in Washington, D.C., we often go to a buzzy little restaurant called Brick Lane in Dupont Circle. We sit in the sun on the front patio with our iced teas while people and puppy watching. We usually share a beet & goat cheese salad. She orders the Rising Sun Omelette and I order the Caprese Benedict. Recreating this recipe brought me back to a carefree time with a dear friend. Here is my adaptation of Brick Lane’s Caprese Benedict!
1 English muffin, halved
2, 1/2 inch thick slices of fresh mozzarella or packaged mozzarella such as BelGioso
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cage-free eggs, each cracked in a separate small bowl
1/4 cup freshly chopped basil leaves
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Toast the English muffin halves until golden brown and crispy
- Place one mozzarella slice on each slice of English muffin
- Pour 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and heat to medium-high
- Carefully pour egg into hot skillet and fry for about 1 minute or until whites start to solidify. With a spatula, move the white closer in toward the yolk as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Flip the egg and cook for another minute for a runny yolk
- Flip once again and look for some light browning on the egg. Cook longer for a less runny egg or as desired
- Transfer fried egg onto half of English muffin on top of mozzarella slice
- Repeat process with remaining egg
- Top eggs with chopped basil and halved tomato slices
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar
If you do not like the taste of balsamic vinegar, replace it with this creamy basil dressing that has more of the consistency of a hollandaise sauce.
In a food processor, mini chopper, or with a hand immersion blender, blend 1/4 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp sour cream, 1/2 cup finely chopped basil, 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, and salt and pepper until smooth.