01 Aug Butternut Squash Lasagna
Butternut Squash Lasagna
This meal is a definite must for Fall dinner. Its relatively easy to make, plus it comes with instructions to freeze for future meals! Let us know in the comments below your favorite Fall dinner dish.
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 10 cups fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) carton fat-free ricotta cheese
- 3 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 6 cups marinara sauce
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sauté 1 1/2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Combine provolone, parsley, salt, pepper, eggs, and ricotta cheeses in a large bowl.
- Place squash in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on high 5 minutes or until tender.
- Coat the bottom and sides of 2 (8-inch-square) baking dishes with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup Smoky Marinara in the bottom of one prepared dish. Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup cheese mixture over noodles. Arrange 1 1/2 cups squash over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over squash
- Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup cheese mixture over the noodles. Arrange 1 1/2 cups onion mixture over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over spinach mixture.
- Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup Smoky Marinara evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients in remaining pan. Cover each pan with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- To freeze unbaked lasagna: Prepare through Step 6. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
- To prepare frozen unbaked lasagna: Thaw completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 375º. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover lasagna with reserved foil; bake at 375º for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until bubbly.
The recipe and photo featured in this post were provided by Cooking Light. To read the original recipe please click here.