08 Oct Bobby's Turkey Meat Loaf
Recipe adapted by Laura Cipullo, R.D., C.D.E. *Originally published published in Modern Moms
The Story: I call this recipe Bobby’s Turkey Meat Loaf since this is the only one I can get my son to eat. It’s adapted from Whole Foods’ recipe, which was one of the first he actually agreed to try. Hopefully, your tots enjoy it as much as Bobby does!
- Canola cooking spray
- 1 cup quinoa flakes cereal crushed or replace with 2 slices whole-grain bread torn into tiny pieces
- 2 lbs ground 90% lean turkey breast
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 8-inch loaf pans with canola oil-based cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, gently combine cereal, turkey, green onions, celery, yellow onion, garlic, tomato paste, egg, thyme, marjoram, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Halve the turkey mixture and transfer to prepared pans. Bake for about 60 minutes, until internal temperature of meatloaf reaches 165°F.
3. Set aside to cool. Freeze whole or portioned. Remember, smaller portions thaw more quickly.
- Take your meatloaf out the morning you plan on serving it to allow ample time for thawing.
- Create quick, healthy sides by serving your turkey meatloaf with a sweet potato (cooked in the microwave for 5 minutes) and a salad of arugula with grated pecorino.