10 Jul Bite-Sized Turkey Burgers
- Lean Turkey Burgers: A Healthier Twist to an American classic
Be it a summer celebration or family outing, burgers are a traditional American fare. But what’s a healthier take on this American classic? Moms, kick off your July 4th celebration with this lean, yet flavorful turkey burger recipe. While lean, these turkey burgers are full of flavor and will surely satisfy your family and friends. If you plan to serve other protein dishes, sides or desserts, these miniature turkey burgers can help keep portions and/or serving sizes under control. The bonus? These bite-sized burgers will be fun for adults and little ones to eat!
Ingredients: (Makes 12 servings)
1 1/4 pounds (93% lean) ground turkey
1 tbsp plain dried, whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of your favorite low-fat cheese, shredded (we like mozzarella or swiss!)
1/2 small yellow onion, diced small
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
12 mini size whole-wheat rolls
Lettuce, sliced tomatoes, pickles, ketchup, and mustard, (for optional toppings optional)
2. Combine onions, garlic, turkey, breadcrumbs, cheese, onion, mustard and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, mix gently until combined. Do not overmix.
3. Form twelve 2-inch patties (about 3 tablespoons each).
4. Place burger patties on hot grill rack over medium heat; cook for 5 to 6 minutes. However, for food safety, ground meats should stay on the grill until they are cooked through.
5. If you like, toast rolls on grill for 1 minute. Otherwise, serve on rolls with your toppings like lettuce, tomatoes or onions. Here you can get the younger ones involved by letting them pick which of their favorite vegetables they want to enjoy!