By Laura Cipullo, RD, CDE, CEDRD and Laura Cipullo Whole Nutrition Services Team
The leaves are changing, the weather is certainly changing, the halloween costumes are out and so are the pumpkins; it must be Fall. How better to show your Fall enthusiasm than by adding some (pumpkin) spice to your breakfast bowl?
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4-1/3 cup pumpkin puree (can adjust to taste)
1 cup water or milk, by preference
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pinch of cinnamon
chopped pecans, walnuts, raisins, dates or maple syrup
- In medium pot, cook oats and milk or water on medium heat until boiling
- Lower to medium-low and stir in the pumpkin puree
- Add spices, vanilla and salt and continue to stir occasionally for 5-7 minutes (be sure that your oatmeal isn’t burning/sticking to bottom of pot, this means your heat is too high)
- Once desired consistency is reached and oats are plump, let sit for 5-10 minutes in pot before serving
- Pour into bowl and add optional toppings. Enjoy!