By Brenna O’Malley and The Laura Cipullo Whole Nutrition Services Team
In search of a meatless option for a crowd or just an alternative to packaged veggie burgers with lots of extra ingredients? This easy make-ahead recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner, a salad or lunch topper, or a great way to get some protein and veggies into your day! These are crowd pleasing veggie burgers because your whether your friends are meatless, gluten free or particular about the veggies or ingredients they like, these burgers can be adapted to fit your guests’ palates!
Yields ~8 patties
•1 can black beans, mashed
•½ medium onion, diced
•1 large carrot or 1 cup baby carrots, grated or diced finely
•1 (8oz) pkg of mushrooms, diced
•1 medium red pepper, diced
•1 cup oat flour (can be made by blending 1 cup oats)
•½ cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked
•½ cup sweet potato, diced and cooked
•1 tsp salt
•1 tsp black pepper
•2 cloves of garlic, minced and made into paste
•1 tbsp olive oil
•1 tsp cumin
•1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup sautéed spinach or kale, 2 tbsp chopped almonds, 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F
- If you do not have roasted sweet potato or rinsed and cooked quinoa ready, prepare those now. Sautee onions, garlic paste, mushrooms and red pepper with tbsp. olive oil until veggies are soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and any optional add-ins you choose. Season to taste and mix well.
- Prepare a baking sheet, moisten hands with water and begin to tightly pack and shape patties for baking.
- Bake patties in oven for ~25 minutes, if your patties are thicker, flipping halfway through may promote even baking.
- Can be refrigerated for a few days or frozen to have on hand for the week. Enjoy!