By Laura Cipullo, RD, CDE, CEDRD
- Canola oil spray
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 lb. butternut squash, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 gloves garlic, pressed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lb. whole wheat elbows, cooked
- 3 Tbs. wheat germ
- 3 Tbs. breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with canola oil spray. Arrange chopped cauliflower, squash, onion, and garlic on baking sheets in a single layer, and lightly spray the tops with canola oil spray. Roast for 45 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
2. Let cool and then transfer to a food processer or blender, slowly adding veggie stock to each batch.
3. Coat large casserole baking dish with canola oil spray. Add vegetable mixture with pasta and mix. In a small bowl, combine wheat germ and breadcrumbs, then sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Broil in the oven on low for 2 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. Add salt to taste. Add chopped cashews for protein and crunch if desired.
This recipe was chosen as one of NYMetroParent’s Best Vegan Mac and Cheese recipes here.